Whitworth Senior Scholarship Awards
The Institution established the Whitworth Senior Scholarship Awards to offer an enhanced level of financial reward for postgraduate research. The awards are to assist engineers who are intending to do research and are planning to embark on postgraduate degree study for a PhD or EngD degree.
How much are the scholarships worth?
The value of the Scholarship is up to £15,000 p.a. for full-time research and from £4,500.00 p.a. for part-time research.
The Award may be held concurrently with other forms of financial support (except with any other Whitworth Award).
Who is eligible?
Whitworth Senior Scholarship Awards are offered in competition to:
- Outstanding engineers who have recently graduated with an engineering degree.
- Students who typically have completed at least a two-year engineering apprenticeship before entering an engineering degree-level course.
- Students who have obtained or will obtain admission to, or have already commenced, a postgraduate research degree programme.
- Students who are British, Commonwealth or European Union citizens, who have been resident in the UK for at least three consecutive years prior to undertaking study in the UK at a College of FE/HE or university before commencing their undergraduate engineering degree.Also open to existing Whitworth Award Holders and Whitworth Scholars
They are also open to existing Whitworth Award Holders and Whitworth Scholars.
Please note: only one senior scholarship award can be granted to an individual.
- Mandatory for all short-listed candidates
- Interviews have been planned for Wednesday 19 and Thursday 20 August 2020.
- Short-listed candidates will be notified at the beginning of August if they are required to attend an interview, and will be given details of the locations and times of the interviews.
- Unfortunately, if a candidate is not able to attend on one of the specified dates, then an alternative date cannot be arranged.
- The Institution is able to normally reimburse up to a total maximum of £100 towards travelling expenses to a candidate who has been invited to attend an interview. Candidates are encouraged to be economical in their claim.
How to apply
Closing date for applications: 30 June 2020.
To apply, complete the application form and two reference request forms: