Practical tools to design and operate safe and efficient systems.
Although the design of piping systems is a multidisciplinary activity, mechanical engineers frequently play the key role in delivering the design.
To design systems that will be cost effective and safe during the construction and operation, engineers need to have good understanding of the piping practices, the physical components and the parts of the design lifecycle; bringing together various considerations and assessing the system as a whole to establish correct design parameters.
This course covers a broad range of subjects of the design of piping systems. Starting with definition of the system, key components, piping project anatomy, documentation and design life cycle, as well as various aspects of the system development, identifying key decisions and calculation requirements for each stage.
Participants will understand why good engineering judgment is critical for the design of safe and efficient piping; leaving the course with a holistic understanding of the system design process and safety assessments required to ensure the end design is safe and efficient, as well as knowledge of key considerations and processes to help substantiate design decisions.
The course is delivered by design practitioners and the learning material is reinforced by worked examples and exercises, so that participants gain tools and techniques that they can use on their projects.
Delivered using virtual classroom (VC) technology, there will be 6 virtual classrooms, each of 2 hours duration and covering the following topics:
- VC 1 (15 July): Introduction to piping system
- VC 2 (16 July): Piping system layouts
- VC 3 (22 July): Sizing calculations
- VC 4 (23 July): Pumps
- VC 5 (29 July): Flow control
- VC 6 (30 July): Safety of piping systems
This course can also be delivered as a face-to-face course
Who should attend?
Engineers, Designers and Project Managers responsible for the delivery of piping systems and wishing to increase their understanding of the subject.
How will I benefit?
- Understand the pipe system project lifecycle and language
- Understand the regulations and standards applicable to system design, construction and exploitation
- Use best technique for setting out the design
- Carry out calculations for sizing of the system
- Evaluate various system layout options
- Create technical piping specifications
- Carry out safety assessments of systems
- Optimise design of piping systems for economy, safety, constructability and operability
- Appreciate the use of various piping project documentation and read it correctly
- Design safe and efficient piping systems